Thursday, March 04, 2010

Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, Florida

This state park is virtually across the street from the Alligator Farm; the bird rookery in the zoo was my primary destination on this trip. This park stays pretty full so I was lucky to get a site for two days in a row. (It turns out that my little Scamp is small enough to use one of their "tent-only"sites, which are nearly always available. Might be a moot point, though, since I found a different campground to try nearby.) I will be returning to this area often in the near future to watch the progress at the rookery.

This time I had site #27, which was ideal for me.



This was in the older loop and so the sites are a tight squeeze for the monster RV rigs but just right for my little one. And the heavy woods on three sides gave me nice privacy.

It's an easy walk from the campground to either Matanzas River, which runs just inland across the dunes from the beach,



or to the beach itself, which is wide and, at this (cold) time of year, fairly empty.



I spotted this egret in the river on one such walk.



I took the walkway to the beach. This walkway crosses over a salt marsh area. The lighthouse can be seen in the distance.



And then I got to the beach.



I noticed a pier over to the right so I decided to walk to it. On the way I saw a lot of gulls--I had not realized there were so many varieties. I particularly liked these, which I don't think I have seen before on the Gulf side.



I got to the pier. Not a lot there to see, but I took a photo from underneath it.



On my way back to the campground I saw this kid surfing. Each ride was pretty short--it was windy and wavy but the waves weren't very high.



This campground has over 100 sites. I toured all of the loops to make notes about the good, bad, and okay ones, just in case I come back here again. I came up with quite a list. There are sites where the water and power hookups are very far apart; one or the other would be beyond the reach of either my hose or power cord if the other was connected. Some have trees directly in the center (and not the tent-only sites!). Some were visibly un-level, which would be a problem in either a tent or a small camper like mine with a somewhat minimal leveling system. Others were sublime. The bath house was clean, though unheated. This park offers two wonderful conveniences, though. First is Island Joe's--a combination camp store, cafe, and book trade/sale center. It's located near the beach. There is wifi available in the immediate vicinity of the store.



It also has a little shack that rents kayaks and other little boats. This is located on the river.



As much as I liked the proximity to the Alligator Farm, I plan to try a different campground on the next trip to St. Augustine, which will hopefully be later this month.

3 comments:

Suwannee Refugee said...

Looks fun. Me and a buddy are headed to Collier-Seminole State Park tomorrow for two nights. Hopefully, we'll get a little bit of warmth along the way.

Sandra said...

you do find the most amazing spots to camp. I had no idea there were so many beautiful spots in the top part of Florida. love the under the pier shot and the beach is beautiful. i like beaches with NO people except for ME.

Dan said...

I know this is a pretty old post... but do you remember water and electricity hookups? Was the water a regular garden hose? And is the electricity a normal 15A 120V household plug?

Thanks!

-d